One of our great traditions here at Terakeet is the shout-out portion of our weekly circle-up meeting. It’s a chance for team members to recognize their peers, and how their successes during the past week relate to one of our core values.
This Friday, I thought I would give my own digital shout out to a Terakeet great — Marc Murray.
For those of you who weren’t lucky enough to know Marc personally, he was one of Terakeet’s first employees, and laid much of the groundwork for the culture we all know and love today.
Marc was diagnosed with Leukemia at the young age of 21. He wouldn’t want you to dwell on that fact for too long – but rather to remember that he took his less than 5% chance of survival and proceeded to kick its ass for six years. This month will mark the two-year anniversary of Marc’s passing. When we lost Marc in February of 2011 it was so much more than losing a friend, or even a co-worker. We lost a great man, and undoubtedly one of the best role models I have ever had.
In addition to his vast knowledge of all things SEO, Marc was an incredible leader. He would take people under his wing and guide them personally and professionally without ever seeking recognition. His uncanny ability to bring a smile to everyone’s face kept us sane in times of hardship, and grounded in times of celebration.
With all of this said, I’d like to shout my main man Marc Murray out for each and every one of our core values.
- Sustainable value: For building the framework of Terakeet’s culture. Your ‘work hard play hard’ attitude set the stage for the collaborative and unique workplace environment we are all lucky to have today.
- Integrity: For selflessly taking it upon yourself to mentor all team members.
- Invention: For coming up with a way to prank call your own father every single Friday without him knowing.
- Entrepreneurship: For pioneering the way we approach social media today. Your proactive thoughts on the importance of “open graph” were not only an impressive foresight into the future of search marketing, but have certainly made their mark on our everyday strategies.
- Rapid response: For always stepping up to extinguish fires via email from our fearless leader, Mac.
Marc’s hard work and dedication played an enormous role in the growth we have experienced and will continue to see in the future. I could go on and on for days thanking you for all you taught us. Mostly though, I’d like to thank you for making me aware of the blessings each day brings. Wolfpack out.